The old town has many quarters and squares to walk surrounded by ancient buildings and mosques which are worth admiring. The aristocratic neighborhood is full of beautiful Venetian buildings worthseeing in Chania. ... The 16th century Venetian lighthouse is the landmark of Chania and lies at the extreme end of the pier.

Old harbor

Chania’s historic importance stemmed from its location as a port, and still today, the deep, curving harbor, which gained its present appearance under the Venetians in the 14th century, is its main tourist attraction. Filled with wooden fishing boats and ringed by a promenade lined with seafood eateries and cafés, it buzzes with visitors in summer, and is totally enchanting by night. To the east of the old harbor, note the mosque, erected by the Ottoman Turks after they took Chania in 1645. Beyond the mosque, stand the arsenals, where the Venetians repaired their galleys, and a yachting marina. This entire stretch of coast is protected by a breakwater, and on its tip stands a lighthouse – it was designed by an Egyptian architect in 1839 and is strangely reminiscent of a minaret.

During the Turkish period Revellino was used as barrack (Firka = barrack), for that reason the name Firka is still used today. The arched openings were used as prisons from the Turkish period to the civil war. On the corner watch tower of the Fortress the Greek flag of the Unification of Crete was raised on December 1st 1913 in an official ceremony. Today, at the entrance of the Fortress is situated the Maritime Museum of Crete.
The district of Splantzia is located to the East ot the Byzantine fortification wall and used to be the Turkish quarter of the town. It has many nice narrow alleys that you can wander through. Its main point of interest is Splantzia Square (officially name Square 1821) where you will now find pleasant coffee shops in the shade of a large plane tree.
Saint Francis’ Church (Archaeological Museum of Chania) … It has operated continuously since then, as the Cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Crete.